| Just because you are watching your weight, doesn't mean the whole family can't enjoy your health enhancing meals! The kids will love "Apricot Chicken" and you will love it because it is so low in calories and fat!
Long term weight loss isn't about hunger, misery and crash dieting. It's a whole new way of learning to prepare nutritious food that your body needs and enjoys. "Apricot Chicken" is one of a range of hunger fighting, low fat recipes to assist you keep your weight under control. This irresistible, no-hassle meal will help you reach your weight-loss goals - while making mealtime a real treat.
Variety is an essential element of any successful health program. If you get bored with foods, you're much more likely to abandon your program altogether. Each main meal should be accompanied by an exciting range of colorful vegetables.
Apricot Chicken (serves 4)
2 cups (460g) solid pack canned apricots (or canned puree apricots)
4 skinless chicken breasts
1 large onion, chopped coarsely
ground black pepper, to taste
2 sage leaves, finely chopped or ½ teaspoon dried sage
1 sprig thyme, chopped
1 tablespoon fruit chutney
1 tablespoon cornflour (cornstarch)
2 tablespoons water
1 tablespoon finely chopped chives or mint for garnish
1. Reserve four apricot halves for garnish. Puree remaining apricots in a food processor or blender or press through a sieve.
2. Arrange chicken fillets in a single layer in a casserole. Sprinkle over onion, pepper and herbs.
3. Combine chutney and apricot puree and pour over the chicken.
Bake in a preheated 180C (350F) oven for 30 minutes.
4. Mix the cornflour and water to a smooth paste.
5. Remove casserole from oven. Use a slotted spoon to lift out chicken breasts; cover and keep warm.
6. Drain the sauce form the casserole into a saucepan. Add the cornflour paste to the sauce and heat, stirring constantly, until it thickens. Cook a further two minutes.
7. Arrange a chicken breast on each plate and spoon sauce over each one. Garnish with apricot halves and chopped chives and serve.
Nutrition per serve
192 calories, carbohydrate 11g, protein 26g, fat 5g
About the Author
Watch Online Articles with YouTube for Free: