|Small changes can have a big effect on how your kitchen looks. Below are 11 decorating ideas that you can do yourself in a day or less. Not only are these simple changes are easy to do, but they are inexpensive too!
1. Afraid of changing your drab white kitchen walls? Instead of choosing rich, deep colors for your first project, you will likely feel more comfortable with a neutral such as beige or gray which will not date the room or create a jarring palate that you will easily tire of.
2. Brighten up the kitchen. Use mirrors to capture the sunlight and bounce it around. Try putting a mirror across from a window or on a wall that corners against the window wall for the most light distribution.
3. Make seasonal changes. Moving the kitchen furniture into a 'summer arrangement' can optimize your space and give it a more airy feel. Make it light and breezy - think about removing some of the furniture and decorations for a lighter feel. Open those curtains and let the sun shine in!
4. Use slipcovers. Slipcovers over your chairs can soften the room and add to your decor. For the holidays, try using special covers in holdiay patters or colors. For a nice summer change use white cotton or canvas slipcovers on the chairs.
5. Get ideas from the pros. Look in magazines, books, television or the internet to get a flavor of the accessories and designs you would like to see in your kitchen. IF you see a kitchen decorated in a way that you like, think about how you can duplicate the same decor in your home.
6. Decorate with cookbooks. You can make a nice display with your cookbooks. Try grouping them in interesting configurations with some laying down and some standing. Don't put small books next to tall books but align them in graduating sizes.
7. Warm it up with rugs. Area rugs can add a splash of color or cover up an old or unmatching floor. When buying rugs, measure the space so you can be sure to get the right size. Rugs used under a table should be large enough to also accommodate the chairs when fully pulled out.
8. Bring the outdoors inside. Don't be afraid to hang plants from any bare ceiling corner to give a lived in feeling to a plain kitchen. Plants provide interest and soften up the room. For above the cabinets or hard to reach places, silk plants work just as well as real ones, however, if you do buy silk, go with a good quality arrangement that looks realistic.
9. Change your look with accessories. A few strategically places accessories can change your kitchen from dull to dramatic! Maybe you want to go with a certain theme and you might be able to give your kitchen a whole new look just by replacing some key accessories like toaster covers, dish towels, cannister sets, salt and pepper shakers and pot holders.
10. Change your cabinet pulls. Theres so many different styles of cabinet pulls these days - figural, wooden, ceramic, glass - you should be able to find a design that matches your new decor easily. They are easy to install yourself and your friends will think you got new cabinets!
11. Add a border. wallpaper borders are easy to put up and can add color and interest. You can use them at the top of the wall or go with a less traditional use underneath the cabinets. Use them at chair rail height to break up long walls. An even less expensive (but more labor intensive) alternative is to use stencils and paint.
About the author:
Lee Dobbins writes for http://www.a-kitchen-decorating-idea.comwhere you can find tips to decorate your kitchen no matter what your budget. Find out more about decorating your kitchen for less at http://www.a-kitchen-decorating-idea.com/decoratingkitchenonabudget.html
Circulated by Article Emporium
Watch Online Articles with YouTube for Free: