Here to return to the previous page
- Online English Lesson Plans, Lesson Material and Ideas for Oral English
Lessons, Hunan University of Science and Technology...
A proverb is a "short, well-known saying that expresses an obvious
truth and often offers advice." But the meanings of proverbs are often
Examples of Common Proverbs:
1. Don't cry over spilt
2. It never rains but it pours.
3. Don't count your chickens until they're hatched.
4. The proof of the pudding is in the eating.
5. He who laughs last - laughs best.
6. He who hesitates is lost.
7. Look before you leap.
8. A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.
9. When the cat's away the mice will play.
10. A rolling stone gathers no moss.
11. Grass doesn't grow on a racetrack.
12. Strike while the iron is hot.
13. A penny saved is a penny earned.
14. Beggars shouldn't be choosers.
15. Like father like son.
16. You can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink.
17. All that glitters is not gold.
18. A stitch in time saves nine.
19. A fool and his money are soon parted.
20. A watched pot never boils.
21. Never look a gift horse in the mouth.
22. Birds of a feather flock together.
23. Too many cooks spoil the broth.
24. You cannot have your cake and eat it too.
25. A barking dog never bites.
1. That problem is over - move on.
2. Bad things sometimes can get worse.
3. Wait for success to celebrate.
4. It is success only if it works.
5. Don't gloat too soon.
6. Don't pass up opportunities.
7. Use some caution before making a move.
8. One sure thing is better than two maybes.
9. Some work only when the boss watches.
10. You won't grow old keeping busy.
11. A busy man's desk has no dust on it.
12. Seize the opportunity when it's available.
13. Not spending is the same as earning money.
14. Don't complain about free gifts.
15. Men emulate their fathers.
16. You can only help those who want help.
17. Don't be allured by flashy temptations.
18. Repair something before the damage is too great.
19. A wise man has money because he's careful.
20. Move on to solve the next problem.
21. Accept a gift graciously.
22. You will be known by the company you keep.
23. One person needs to be in charge.
24. You cannot use and save the same item.
25. Many people talk without any action.