|Smoking can hook you because cigarettes contain nicotine which is highly addictive. But being hooked is not an excuse why you cannot quit smoking. Smoking has been proven by several researches to be great threat to one's health, that is why there is no reason why one who is already hooked to it should not quit smoking.
It is tough to quit smoking. People try at least 2 to 3 times before they can finally quit smoking. It takes hard work and lots of effort but if you're really determined then you can quit smoking for good.
Why quit smoking?
There are at least five reasons why you should quit smoking.
* First, if you quit smoking, you will definitely live longer and better.
* Second, each time you smoke, you take about 5 to 20 minutes off your life. Your chance of getting lung cancer, stroke or heart attack increases if you don't quit smoking.
* Third, the people you live with, especially the children, will be healthier only if you stop smoking. In fact, second hand smoke is more dangerous than the actual smoke users get from smoking.
* Fourth, if you quit smoking, you will have extra money to spend on other things than cigarettes.
* And lastly, if youíre pregnant, chances of having a healthier baby is more likely if you quit smoking.
So the next and most crucial question is "how do I quit smoking?"
Here are five ways that can help you quit smoking:
1. Get ready and prepare yourself to undetake your quit somking program? Set a quit smoking date. Change your environment by getting rid of all cigarettes in places you frequent and not allowing people to smoke near you or at your home.
2. Get support and encouragement. Studies have shown that you'll have better chances in quitting smoking if you can get support from families, friends, and co-workers.
3. Learn new skills and behavior. Always remember that your goal is to quit smoking, so distract yourself from urges of smoking. Change your routine in your first try of quit smoking program. Do something to reduce your stress such as taking a hot bath, exercise, or reading. Plan something to do enjoyable every day.
4. Get medication and use it correctly. Medications can help you lessen the urge to smoke. Five approved medications that can help you to quit smoking are: Bupropion SR, nicotine gum, nicotine inhaler, nicotine nasal spray, and nicotine patch.
5. Be prepared for a relapse. If you quit smoking, chances of a relapse is high. Most relapses occur after 3 months of quitting, so watch out for situations that may trigger you get back to smoking such as alcohol, other smokers, weight gain and depression.
Everyone can quit smoking so donít hesitate to at least try to quit smoking also.
Quit smoking now and I guarantee you a healthier, better and longer life.
About the author:
Charlene J. Nuble 2005. For updated links and information about quit smoking, please go to: http://quit-smoking.besthealthlink.net/or for updated links and information on all health related topics, go to: http://www.besthealthlink.net/
Circulated by Article Emporium
Watch Online Articles with YouTube for Free: