When you first start out on your business venture, money is usually tight but you still need to advertise. One of the most affordable, yet very effective, ways to begin your advertising campaign is with flyers. Flyers are simply full page ads that are distributed directly to your potential customers. There are several ways in which they can be distributed.
You can either make the flyers yourself or have them made professionally, which might not be in the budget. ;-) There are several points to remember when designing your flyer, just as in writing ads or any other sales copy.
1. You want your flyer to get people's attention, so don't just use your boring, standard white paper. Use bright, alive and cheerful colors to bring out the message you are trying to convey.
2. The flyer's purpose is to sell, not to let everyone know your name. The flyer is not a business card. On the flyer, you want to highlight your problem solving product/service.
For example: Ants a problem in your house. We can get rid of them in just a few hours. No more problem!
3. Use incentives and/or closing dates to get people to act NOW!
Call NOW and get 10% Off our Regular Price! 1-800-ANT-B-Gone
4. Adding a few testimonials to the flyer can also be very effective. Highlight comments of past satisfied customers. List your qualifications as well, making sure to set yourself apart from other similar companies.
5. Another good idea is to encourage referrals. Having a statement such as, " If you are not in need of our product or service, please pass this along to someone who is." You might be pleasantly surprised at how many customers this one line can bring in!
6. Don't forget about the back of your flyer. Take advantage of this space as well. List some of your specials, sales, more testimonials, incentives, etc.
7. Do not stop at one try. You MUST follow-up!
8. Test your flyers as well. Use different incentives, headlines, paper colors and see which ones get the best response.
9. Distribute your flyers in targeted areas. If you offer a business opportunity, try distributing them at the unemployment office. If you offer weight loss products, visit the local gyms and exercise studios.
There are several ways you can distribute your flyers, once you have designed them and printed them out.
Post your flyers on Public Bulletin Boards found in grocery stores, community centers, banks, post offices, laundromats, etc.
Hand them out outside of targeted buildings such as stores, unemployment office, restaurants, etc. Never push your flyers on anyone. If they hand it back, smile and accept it back. Do not block doorways or sidewalks! If handing flyers out in stores, malls, etc., be sure and get permission.
Parades and other public events are great places to hand out flyers. Do not engage in conversation, just smile and offer the flyers. If they do not take it, move on.
You can also distribute your flyers door-to-door. Leave the flyers on the doorknob, not in mailboxes!
Talk with apartment building owners, real estate offices. People just moving into the area are always in need of this type of information.
Check with your town's ordinances. Leaving flyers on people's cars might not be allowed in your city. Be sure and know all local laws before starting your flyer campaign!
Copyright © 2005 Terri Seymour
Resource box: Find tons more tips, information and articles at http://www.SeymourProducts.com. Terri Seymour and her husband Terry also offer a no-cost, non-MLM home business opportunity. They strive to help you build a successful home business. Take advantage of the tips, support, resources, and more for your home & business.